One of the difficulties in preserving the history of computing is that devices are outmoded so quickly they may not survive in the wild anymore. As fast as the hardware disappears from the landscape, software distributions disappear even faster. Additional difficulties arise when attmepting to archive specialized application software due to the licensing requirements of the software.
The Museum greatly appreciates donations of hardware, software, manuals, promotional brochures, etc. that relate to it’s mission of preserving the history of computer graphics. In addition to being a technology, computer graphics is also an expressive medium and we try to preserve the original art and images created for that medium as well as the technology that created the medium.
The Museum is actively seeking items in the following areas:
- Calcomp plotters
- Evans & Sutherland systems: Line Drawing System 1 (LDS-1), Picture System (PS), Picture System II (PS2), MultiPicture System (MPS), Picture System 390 (PS-390), VAXstation 8000, ESV Workstation, Freedom Series graphcis accelerators, etc.
- Silicon Graphics systems: IRIS 1000 Series (IRIS 1000, IRIS 1200, IRIS 1400, IRIS 1500), IRIS 2000 Series (IRIS 2000, IRIS 2200, IRIS 2300, IRIS 2400, IRIS 2500, IRIS 2300T, IRIS 2400T, IRIS 2500T), IRIS 3000 Series (IRIS 3010, IRIS 3020, IRIS 3030, IRIS 3110, IRIS 3115, IRIS 3120, IRIS 3130), Personal Iris workstations, Onyx workstations, Crimson workstations, Indigo2 workstations, O2 workstations, Fuel workstations, Tezro workstations, etc.
- Tektronix systems: storage tube terminals (4002, 4006, 4010, 4012, 4014, 4015, 4112, 4113), raster terminals (4114, 4105, 4205), local procesing systems (4170), smalltalk systems (4404, 4405, 4406), workstations (4224, 4225, 4235, 4236, 4237, 4324, 4325, 4315, 4316, 4317, 4335, 4336, 4337)
- Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC): graphics peripherals for PDP-8, PDP-11, etc., graphics terminals: VT55, VT105, VT125, VT241, VT330, VT340, VT340+
- Hewlett-Packard: vector generators (HP 1350A, HP 1351A), graphics terminals (HP 2648A, HP 2623A, HP 2627A, graphics microcomputers (HP 85A), graphics workstations
- Graphics peripherals from before 1980 (plotters, vector displays, vector image generators, film recorders, printers)
- Graphics workstations (DEC, Symbolics, List Machines, Xerox Alto, Xerox Star, Three Rivers PERQ, Apollo, Hewlett-Packard, Sun, Computervision, Stellar, Ardent, Stardent, Terak (8510, 8510/a, 8512, 8515, 8600, 8604), etc.)
- Minicomputer application software (DEC, HP, Data General, etc.)
- Workstation application software (Computer-Aided Design, video editing, video effects, modelling, scientific visualization)
- Graphics terminal application software
- Sales brochures, marketing materials, technical specifications, manuals (user’s guide, technical reference, maintenance manual, etc), application software documentation, etc.